Thursday, February 5, 2009

How Valuable is a Good Idea?

I am making my way through Bill Hybels' book Axiom. I just finished the chapter on the value of a good idea. I loved this thought...

Leaders traffic in idea creation. The best leaders I know are ferociously disciplined about seeking them out and incredibly committed to stewarding them well.

Leaders traffic in idea creation. Now that is is profound thought and challenge. I have been much more intentional with this so far this year. I have tried to go through everything that I am involved with and re-think them. Is there something that needs to be changed? Can we make this better? Is it still relevant? How could we risk and possibly make it more successful? As I think deeply about all of these things, I realize that every single one of them can be improved. It is usually simply a good idea that can provide momentum to push these things to a new level.

Some things that have helped me:

1. Scheduled time to take one thing (ministry, assignment, article, meeting, sermon, etc..) and think deeply about that one thing; taking time to think, write down every thought no matter how ridiculous, pray, listen, then decide a course of action.

2. Included other people in the idea creation process. I am realizing that if they are involved with the creation of the idea, then they will be excited about seeing the idea through to implementation.

3. Stopped assuming that everything was "okay." Just because a certain part of my job description is "fine" doesn't mean anything. Each area needs the next good idea to push it forward.

I want to traffic in idea creation.

No comments:

Post a Comment