Saturday, February 7, 2009

Rest

I was reading Hebrews 3 & 4 this morning and was fascinated by the theme of rest. Several times it calls establishing a relationship with God as "entering into His rest." The writer continues to value the importance of rest (peace) that should come along with our relationship with God. Sometimes I think that we, in today's society, miss out on this promise. So many of the people that I work with are overly stressed, worried, and fearful. Hebrews 3:1 gives the following warning,

"Therefore, let us fear if, while a promise remains of entering His rest, any one of you may seem to have come short of it."

That verse is very convicting to me. Many days I come short of entering His rest. But the absolutely amazing thing is that His rest is available every day. And if it was available and real for the early Christians who were facing extreme hardships, then I have no excuse.

Today I will rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment